Saturday 28 April 2018

Classic Movie Review: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Wes Craven has a lot to answer for...I was 13 when I first saw this classic movie. It was the first horror movie I saw by choice and it got me interested in horror movies.


This movie is an absolute classic and will always be one of my most loved movies of all time.
The teenagers in Springfield are having terrible nightmares, all of them dreaming about a disfigured man who wants to kill them...and if they are killed in their dreams, then they're dead for real. 
This movie was the saviour of New Line Cinema (which is lovingly known as "The House That Freddy Built") as they were having financial difficulties and A Nightmare on Elm Street was the success they desperately needed.  Here's the trailer, check it out:

The story is quite interesting and the special effects were really good for the time. Englund was incredible as Freddy Krueger, and it was also the introduction of some actor called Johnny Depp, I think he did a few movies afterwards... 
This movie spawned 6 sequels, a crossover (which was teased way back in Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday) and was also reboot in 2010 (which is awful, I reviewed it as part of my Quest for the WORST Movie, check it out.) and they are apparently doing another reboot that will be out at some stage.
The movie is still great, the story is clever and had many people not wanting to sleep for a while (odd side note: I'm not one of them, I tend to sleep quite well after watching one of the movies before the crossover or remake...). Wes Craven, thank you for such an awesome story!
A Nightmare on Elm Street is rated 18 and is available on Blu-Ray, DVD and digital download. 

1 comment:

  1. This is the ONLY movie that has truly scared me, no other horror has done that. Granted I was much younger, but still it was scary. Other horrors have been gruesome or full of things that make me cringe, but not scared. Even the newer Nightmare on Elm Street was pretty lame. It was [probably more to do with Robert Englund's acting as he was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger