Thursday 25 May 2017

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Well, as today is International Towel Day, I thought it only appropriate that I do a review on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.




The movie, based on the book (based on the radio series) of the same name, chronicles the adventures of an Earth dweller called Arthur Dent, his friend Ford Prefect, Intergalactic President Zaphod Beeblebrox, his companion Trillion and an Android called Marvin, who after the Earth is demolished to make way for a Hyperspace Bypass search for the planet Magrathea.

As a fan of the Books, Comic, Radio Series, TV Series, Game and more I was really looking forward to this movie, after all this was in development hell for about 15 and sadly the legendary Douglas Adams never got to see it...and if I'm honest I wish I hadn't seen it either (I really should have taken my Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril-Sensitive Sunglasses with me to watch this!!)

For starters, Ford Prefect was played by Mos Def...and American black man!  I'm sorry, but this was wrong...Ford is a white man!!!  And the way that they had Zaphod Beeblebrox's heads was wrong too, they are supposed to be next to each other, not a bloody pop up thing!!  The story felt wrong and does not feel like it was based on the book but perhaps the writer's mind wandered somewhere outside the Galaxy too.

There are some good points to this movie though (barring the end of the movie) and that is Stephen Fry being the voice of The Book (Amazing voice from an amazing man, great choice) and the voice of Marvin was the later great Alan Rickman.

All in all, it's not too bad as a movie in itself, but to me personally I do not feel that it belongs in the H2G2 universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger