Tuesday 6 June 2017

Quest for Worst Movie Part 3 - Suicide Squad

I used to be a fan of DC Comics and the movies...the 1989 Batman was awesome and one of the greatest action movies of my teens, and the movies that followed (barring Batman & Robin, which will be part of this quest at some stage...) were great, the Superman movies starring Christopher Reeve are amazing.....but then came along the likes of Superman Returns and Man of Steel (yet more contenders for worst movie) and I went off DC movies.....and now, I'm looking at Suicide Squad.

I have to admit before seeing this movie I had a lot of concerns...Jared Leto's Joker was shown a while before the movie's cinematic release and it looked awful, and there were rumours saying that the tattoos were just done as a promotion for Batman Day which sadly turned out to be untrue.  The over sexualisation of Harley Quinn really annoyed me too..there is so much depth to this character, and such a brain too!  Here's the trailer:

After the death of Superman (see Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice), it is decided that metahumans are a serious and credible threat, and so Amanda Waller decides that a group of metahumans should be used to fight back.  The team is known as Taskforce X.

Taskforce X need to take on not only The Joker but Enchantress as well.

This movie is slow, boring and needs more action.  Since Man of Steel, the DCEU live action movies have been absolute rubbish and yet again this movie has just added to the trend.  The characters felt rather flat and uninteresting.  I still really dislike The Joker (although Leto did well with the voice) but I think the movie would have been much better if he was the main villain as it felt like he was more of a distraction which is a pity.  It was good to see how abusive Joker was toward Harley Quinn too, as so many people see the relationship between them as such a lovey-dovey thing when it is far from it (Joker is incredibly abusive and it really narks me when people say they want a relationship like Harley and Mistah J...just no!!)

As much as Killer Croc looks awesome in this movie as well as Enchantress I'm still at a loss on how this movie got awarded the Academy Award for Best Makeup!  I honestly think that Star Trek: Beyond got shafted that awards season.  For me, the best part of this movie wasn't the characters...or the story...but the soundtrack, the music was truly the star of the show and the only thing that really held my interest.

This movie does have a little snippet in the credits but it wasn't anything special.

Out of all the DCEU movies released so far (barring Wonder Woman, which I've not seen as yet), this is the best of all the movies, however, this does not mean it's a great movie, just better than Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Suicide Squad is rated 15 and available to buy in stores or online via digital outlets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger