Wednesday 18 July 2018

Die Hard With a former Wrestler...

I've always had a passion for action movies, and Die Hard is an absolute classic (I mean the first not the many many sequels afterward!) and it had the perfect formula for an action movie.  Hero with balls of steel? Check  Explosions? Check. Bad guy with a European accent? Check. Big action star? Check. 

So, I saw the trailer for Skyscraper and the first thing I thought was "Hey look! The Rock wants to do a Die Hard movie!" but then I saw this poster promoting the movie:

Oh my God even the damn poster is a Die Hard ripoff!! Here is the Die Hard poster for comparison:

So after looking at the trailer and the Die Hard With a Rock Bottom Skyscraper poster, I decided that I should check out this 1980s action movie clone (I'll be marking off 80s action movie clichés as we go along). 

So, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is Will Sawyer, a former Marine/Hostage Rescuer/Duct Tape Fan (Swiss Army Knife hero? Check) who is asked to check out how secure The Pearl, the tallest building in not only Hong Kong but the World, is.  His family live in the building and love being there (hero has something incredibly precious that will most likely be a risk during the movie? Check). However, the creator of the building (arrogant person thinking things are invincible? Check) feels his building is the most secure in the World and has an amazing secret at the top of the building (When this is revealed, cheesy/creepy/odd line from Creator? Check). 

The building is then set on fire (untouchable thing being touched? Check)....and Sawyer is getting blamed for it... And on top of all that his family is trapped in there (hero has everything to lose? Check) so he has to go rescue them (somehow the hero is the ONLY person capable of saving the day? Check.)

After watching this movie I felt like I was back in 1988,so imagine my disappointment that a coffee in the Costa in the cinema didn't cost 25p! 

The movie was great and had so great action sequences (former sports entertainment star does finishing move? Check) and the effects were good too....although they could have held off on the cheesy song playing on the end credits.

Believe it or not Duct Tape Die Hard Skyscraper (rated 12A)  is out now (and not 40 years ago!) and is in 3D too, although I'd suggest not watching digital 3D if you suffer with vertigo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger